Pre-Conference Workshops: November 26, 2018
8:00 am - 8:30 am Check in for workshop attendees and morning networking
8:30 am - 10:30 am Workshop A: Human-Centred Operational Excellence
• Getting better at getting better: What does a culture of operational discipline really mean?
• What is the role of culture in achieving operational excellence?
• What are the core values, behaviors, etc. necessary to achieve operational excellence?
• How can leaders create this culture within their organization?
• How decisions of “who does what where” affect your ability to achieve operational excellence
• A different way of looking at the business architectures that underpin how you organize the business, manage process, conduct operations, and even support IT
• How do you assess and measure culture?
10:30 am - 10:45 am Morning networking break for workshop attendees
WORKSHOP C10:45 am - 12:45 pm Workshop C: Critical success factors in Operations Management System design and implementation
Many companies have implemented formal management systems in an attempt to improve execution and achieve Operational Excellence. While a few companies like Chevron, Exxon and Koch Industries have had tremendous success with their management systems, many other companies have found their management system has become bureaucratic, costly, and ineffective. Even worse, they have found their management systems added more layers of complexity that further weigh upon the companies’ performance. This session will highlight the critical success factors in OMS design and implementation.
- Driving OEMS accountability through governance: why it’s not just about compliance
- Building the most compelling case for deeper OMS commitment by cascading governance
- Getting leadership to focus on and support your Management System
- Assigning clear ownership and governance for the processes that make up your management system
- Integrating implementation of the management system into the business planning cycle
- Take a risk-based approach
WORKSHOP D10:45 am - 12:45 pm Workshop D: Digital Transformation: Applying better analytics to find untapped cost efficiencies in a tough market
Dealing with issues as – or even before – they arise, using actual gures to make fact-based decisions
• Enabling real-time interaction with the information you need to manage your area of responsibility – whether it’s the entire company or a speck c region, field, well, maintenance activity, or opex budget
• Combining enterprise data with real-time operational data
• Gaining a real-time perspective of how your operations and asset are doing at any given moment – along with the insight to trigger the right actions needed to maximize operational excellence
12:45 pm - 1:15 pm Networking Luncheon for workshop attendees
WORKSHOP E1:15 pm - 3:15 pm Workshop E: Practical Application of AI, Machine Learning and IoT for Operational Excellence
- Understanding value streams in the context of Industry 4.0
- The evolving role of intelligent assets in a value stream
- Basics of AI and Machine learning in the industrial context
- Mapping AI to business needs - selection criteria
- Achieving operation certainty with AI:
- Asset Reliability
- Operating Optimization
- Selecting, designing and installing AI an IIOT systems for operational certainty
WORKSHOP F1:15 pm - 3:15 pm Workshop F: Process safety and Operational Excellence: Realizing the connection between safe operations and efficient operations
• What does it mean to achieve excellence in health and safety?
• Integrating safety performance improvement with Operations Excellence and management systems
• Constructing a health and safety program that is not only effective in limiting incidents, but that is optimized operationally
• World class incident management is no accident
• Integrating process safety together with personal safety in decision making
• The new performance standard: Establishing principles and structures that begin with safety - and then applying them to other areas of the business
• What’s required to be successful? Designing a model that’s broad enough to be applicable to all of your assets
3:15 pm - 3:30 pm Networking break for workshop attendees
WORKSHOP G3:30 pm - 5:30 pm Workshop G: Probabilistic risk assessment: The basis for recognizing emerging operational risks
During this session we will discuss how a systematic and comprehensive methodology to evaluate risks associated with complex engineering and technological systems can help companies identify emerging risk to their critical operations.
Through the use of case studies and use-cases, we will explore how specific tools and processes can help approach operational risks with:
- A quantitative evaluation of system safety
- Identification, selection, and screening of Initiation events
- Definition and modeling scenarios Initiating and Pivotal Events Modeling Data development and risk quantification uncertainty analysis
Risk importance ranking and cutset analysis for risk reduction and communication
WORKSHOP H3:30 pm - 5:30 pm Workshop H: Operations Excellence: Building a lean, but effective organization to thrive in every market environment
• Identifying the strategic value levers and performance improvement opportunities in your company
• How to truly determine how reliable, safe and ef cient your operations are – and then set targets for change. What is the benchmark?
• Setting clear goals and targets for operations excellence
• Aligning leadership and the rest of the organization
• Creating a sustainable Operational Excellence framework - even as conditions change
• Linking your Operational Excellence plan to business needs and changing objectives
• Identifying your performance gaps
• How to translate the business values and strategies and policies into action
• Changing the organizational culture to incorporate OE principles into the everyday
• Managing “daily improvement” and strategic scorecard / metrics and sustaining continuous improvement
• Weighing the pros and cons of centralized versus localized continuous improvement programs
• Developing the right continuous improvement framework for your business to improve reliability and operability