Main Conference Day One: November 27, 2018
7:00 am - 8:00 am Registration and check in
8:00 am - 8:05 am Welcome from conference director
8:05 am - 8:15 am Chair’s opening addressJose Pires - Former Global Vice President & Director of Business Excellence, Andeavor
8:10 am - 8:50 am Gaining business value from Operational ExcellenceDavid Murray - Chief Operating Officer & President of Production, Hydro-Québec
Jane Travers - Vice President, Asset Management & Optimization - Renewable Generation, Ontario Power Generation
Nigel Steward - Head of Processing Center of Excellence, Growth & Innovation, Rio Tinto
There has never been a more critical time for energy and utilities companies to be focused on Operational Excellence – its critical not just for survival but in order to thrive in the years ahead. The innovators that have strategically invested in operational ef ciency programs are demonstrating their operational resilience – while marginal operators must signi cantly improve in order to position themselves for long-term growth in an increasingly competitive marketplace. With so many companies hampered by complexity and inef ciency, now is the time to optimize your operations to yield more productivity and fully harvest the bene ts of technology, scale and standardization.
Many of us have an Operational Excellence or CI program in place – but does it truly link planning and operations to strategy? Are you getting the most business value you possible can out of it? What about metrics – what is the true impact of OE on your business’ financial performance? Do you know?
This dynamic panel will discuss these issues and more – including how to reduce complexity and variability with clearly defined standards and accountabilities, build the most compelling case for deeper OE focus and demonstrate to your executive leaders and shareholders the true impact that Operational Excellence can have on the bottom line.
David MurrayChief Operating Officer & President of Production
Jane TraversVice President, Asset Management & Optimization - Renewable Generation
Ontario Power Generation
Nigel StewardHead of Processing Center of Excellence, Growth & Innovation
8:50 am - 9:25 am Cultural Change Programs: Understanding how to make culture change happen to drive out risk and enhance operational excellenceAlexander Breskvar - Director, Quality, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
• How can we de ne culture?
- Implementing changes in leadership thinking and behaviours to drive out operational risk and support transformation
- Leadership and culture change: why it needs to start at the top
- What are the stages of culture change – can we ‘learn’ a new culture?
Alexander BreskvarDirector, Quality
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
9:25 am - 10:00 am Understanding the connection between culture and safety, environmental and financial performanceKathy McCrum - Vice President, HR & Safety, SaskPower
David Loyd - Assistant Director, Institutional Safety and Mission Assurance, NASA
Paul Clark - Vice President, Bruce B, Bruce Power
• What’s the link between culture, reliability and Operational Excellence?
• With so much volatility and risk in hazardous industries today – what impact can culture change can have on safety performance? environmental performance? compliance? nancial performance?
• Where should the responsibility for changing culture sit in an organization?
• Can you measure organizational culture?
• Where do you start when it comes to changing culture?
Kathy McCrumVice President, HR & Safety
David LoydAssistant Director, Institutional Safety and Mission Assurance
Paul ClarkVice President, Bruce B
10:00 am - 10:20 am Morning Networking Break
Asset Performance Optimization
10:20 am - 10:55 am Operational Excellence in Asset Management & Reliability - A Case for a Center of ExcellenceJean-Pierre Pascoli - Director, Physical Asset Management & Reliability, Cameco Corporation
After a decade of varied site-driven reliability improvement efforts across it operations,
Cameco Corporation’s Operational Excellence group recognised an opportunity to further
improve by embracing asset management thinking and to linking its reliability efforts to
a corporate asset management program. It then successfully made a case for a center
of excellence for Asset Management & Reliability. This presentation will provide a brief
history of asset reliability improvement efforts at Cameco and reasons for and challenges
with setting up its new center of excellence.
Jean-Pierre PascoliDirector, Physical Asset Management & Reliability
10:55 am - 11:35 am Long term asset optimization: How Enbridge Gas Distribution is reducing asset risk and realizing optimal value from its assetsMichelle George - Vice President, Engineering and Asset Management, Enbridge Gas Distribution
• Balancing costs, opportunities and risks against the desired performance over the life
cycle of our assets
• Effectively deploying capital across all asset classes based on quantitative risk or
• Integrated Management System: Framework approach to establishing an asset
- • Improving visibility into asset based decision making
Michelle GeorgeVice President, Engineering and Asset Management
Enbridge Gas Distribution
11:35 am - 12:15 pm Building on the Promise of LNG Canada: The Path to FID and First LNGSteve Corbin - Executive Project Director, LNG Canada, a Shell, PETRONAS, PetroChina, Mitsubishi and KOGAS joint venture
- Exploring market trends, key drives and LNG's role in the transition to a low carbon future
- Understanding the potential opportunities for Canada - and the rest of the world
- Learning about the path and upcoming work to building a mega LNG project in Canada
Steve CorbinExecutive Project Director
LNG Canada, a Shell, PETRONAS, PetroChina, Mitsubishi and KOGAS joint venture
12:15 pm - 1:00 pm Networking Luncheon
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm Field Service Transformation: Empowering the Digital WorkforceJean-Claude Helou - Senior Director, Digital Operations Consulting, PwC
• Burning drivers in asset management and customer enablement that are driving the transformation of
• Digital technologies that are enabling, facilitating and transforming field services including: Internet of
things, Big data / analytics, Mobile devices, Cloud services, Augmented reality, Wearables
• Leading new operating field practices that could deliver value and a positive business case - field and
• Lessons learned from successful Energy and Utilities field service transformations including change
- management, sustainability, benefits realization and implementation agility
Jean-Claude HelouSenior Director, Digital Operations Consulting
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm Digitizing the Energy EconomyFrederick Morency - Vice-President – Energy & Services, Schneider Electric
• Preparing for the new energy economy and sustainability initiatives
• Learning about the various factors impacting quick decisions to energy savings opportunity
• Gaining insight on the importance of IoT enabled devices and software
• Understanding how to make use of data from across your installed base and convert it to into actionable insights
Frederick MorencyVice-President – Energy & Services
2:00 pm - 2:40 pm Modernizing System Operations at HydroOne: Leveraging people, process and technology to drive Operational ExcellenceMartin Huang - Vice President, System Operations, HydroOne
• Leveraging the right processes, roles and responsibilities to enable effective decision making and improve
• Removing costly and inefficient variation across your operations by deploying standardized processes and systems across
• Creating a high reliability culture: How to embed operational excellence in your organizational DNA
• Operation optimization technology: Gaining a real-time perspective of how your operations and asset are doing – along with the
insight to trigger the right actions needed to maximize uptime
• How HydroOne is leveraging new asset monitoring technologies to reduce outage duration
• Using predictive analytics to enable asset optimization and safer, more reliable operations
• Combining real time data with enterprise operational data to improve operational reliability
Martin HuangVice President, System Operations
2:40 pm - 3:10 pm Solution Insight Session
Branded as “the best networking session I’ve ever attended” by a number of past Summit delegates, this structured networking session is the ideal opportunity for you to capitalize on time out of the office by speaking to the experts in attendance and learning about the solutions available to your specific OE challenges.
How does it work? It’s easy. You spend seven minutes at a table of your choice, and when the bell rings you’ll be directed to the next one to start another round of networking. At the end of the session you’ll have met most of your peers, and if you haven’t, you can continue into the networking cocktail reception at the end of the day.
Human Centred Operational Excellence
3:10 pm - 3:40 pm Leading Millennials to Operational ExcellenceJoanna Osawe - Chair & Co-Founder, Women in Renewable Energy (WiRE)
Leanne Cleland - Director, Operations, Petro-Canada Lubricants Inc.
Hugo Ashkar - Global Risk Manager, BP
Millennials are an integral part of today’s workforce and tomorrow’s leadership. Having
grown up in an environment much different than previous generations, they in turn have
different goals, priorities, and habits when it comes to their careers.
• How to motivate and give a purpose to this generation of future leaders
• Understanding their inherent skill sets - and how to use them to the advantage of your
• Creating a work environment that encourages communication and values the opinions of
its younger members
• Re-considering the “traditional workday” for maximum productivity
Joanna OsaweChair & Co-Founder
Women in Renewable Energy (WiRE)
Leanne ClelandDirector, Operations
Petro-Canada Lubricants Inc.
Hugo AshkarGlobal Risk Manager
3:40 pm - 4:10 pm The path to Safety Excellence through Operational Discipline: Balancing the focus on low probability high consequence events with high probability low consequence events to change culture and behaviorsSimon Watson - Head of Health, Safety, Security & Wellbeing Thames Water
Curtis Weber - President, Professional Speaker & Safety Consultant, C Weber Consulting Ltd.
Kathy McCrum - Vice President, HR & Safety, SaskPower
- What does it mean to achieve excellence in health and safety?
- Designing a model that integrates safety maturity within a management system framework to drive consistency and provide clear expectations
- Creating standardized approaches to business functions: Centralizing knowledge and oversight, while giving flexibility in implementation
- The cultural transformation: Focusing on employee mindset and behaviours – the critical role of front line supervision
Curtis WeberPresident, Professional Speaker & Safety Consultant
C Weber Consulting Ltd.
Kathy McCrumVice President, HR & Safety
Simon WatsonHead of Health, Safety, Security & Wellbeing
4:10 pm - 4:30 pm IoT and Artificial Intelligence Tools for Reducing Downtime in Industrial OperationsDon McClatchie - Vice President, Business Development, Nanoprecise Sci Corp
This presentation will discuss the challenges of reducing operating costs and the new tools and strategies that are available:
- Fault detection in rotating equipment
- Machine learning tools
- Modern condition monitoring systems
- Sensor technology
- Remaining useful life of rotating assets
- Applications of the technology
Don McClatchieVice President, Business Development
Nanoprecise Sci Corp
4:30 pm - 5:10 pm A large scale, complete turn-around transformation case study: How Veolia drives significant efficiency and growth from their courageous business process and architecture re-engineering projectCristian Matei - Head of Business Transformation, Veolia Group
Veolia Group, headquartered in France, is a $30B company with 164,000 employees worldwide. It has four main service and utility areas traditionally managed by public authorities – water management, waste management, transport and energy services. The vast Business Management experience with Veolia Group of Madalin Mihailovici, Mihai Savin, Irina Munteanu and their Colleagues within the Apa Nova Bucharest Management Team was combined with Cristian Matei’s experience who - after 20 years working with ABB, Alstom Power or General Electric as Global Head of Operational Quality & Continuous Improvement or Global Head of Learning & Development - joined Veolia in 2016 as Head of Transformation. In this inspiring case study, they will take the audience through the company’s transformation journey, including insight into:
- “The burning platform” and how to deal with crisis management - while transforming problems into opportunities
- Using a three-phased holistic approach to re-engineer business processes and organizational architecture to achieve higher business performance
- Putting necessary tools and methodologies in place to transition from opinion-based leadership to a data-driven organisation
- How to design continuous improvement management processes to continuously exceeding all stakeholders’ expectations while creating the self-sharpening organization
Cristian MateiHead of Business Transformation
5:10 pm - 6:00 pm Innovation Acceleration: Ideas, Methods and PeopleJose Pires - Former Global Vice President & Director of Business Excellence, Andeavor
In a fast changing world, how do you build a culture where extraordinary innovation becomes ordinary? A culture that lasts and consistently delivers exponential leaders, growth and value creation. The key ingredients to innovation acceleration are not what you see portrayed most often in themedia. Great, enduring organizations know what it really takes to create and, most importantly, scale innovation. We will explore how to blend disciplined innovation methods with elements of venture capitalism, crowdsourcing and collaborative leadership to deliver rapid and sustainable business improvements and innovations in any industry.